Hello awesome Grow Together Leaders, I hope you are well! There is a lot to cover this week, so please read through and let me know if you have any questions.
SERVE THE BLOCK
As small groups and classes we have an incredible opportunity to serve in the Block this summer. Pastor BJ and Amanda Elven are looking for several groups who will serve a lunch meal in the Block one Saturday this summer. At a minimum they are looking for 4 groups, but could take up to 16. Please talk with your group/class and choose a weekend to serve our friends and neighbors in the Block.
HERES WHAT IS NEEDED:
- Choose a Saturday. We are starting with May 6, June 3, July 1, and Aug 5, but can extend beyond that.
- Let me know. Email me to let me know which date you picked.
- Make a meal. Coordinate with your group or class to make a meal for 50 people. Please prepare the meal in your homes. If you would like financial assistance to help with the meal, please let me know.
- Show up, serve, and eat. Coordinate a time with Pastor BJ or Amanda Elven, show up, serve the meal, and hang out and eat with the neighbors.
I would love to see our Grow Together groups fill the entire summer.
MATTHEW SERIES ONGOING
Below is the final study for the Matthew series. However, the series will continue through Labor Day. If your group would like to continue studying Matthew, here are some ideas to help you.
- At the bottom of this post is an outline for the remaining weeks of the series so you can plan ahead for what we will be talking about each weekend.
- There is a lot of great information online including reputable commentaries. One I wanted to share with you is the Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible. If you have questions please feel free to ask me or google. If you are unsure if something is reputable, please don’t hesitate to ask.
- Probably the most important thing is to take great notes each weekend and write down thoughts that are intriguing to you. Those thoughts often generate great discussion.
- To involve your group members more, consider asking group members to rotate leading the discussion. Not only will this help them pay better attention on the weekend, it will allow them to step into a greater leadership role in the group.
- Lastly, I’ve mentioned this a few times, but please don’t hesitate to ask me any questions as you prepare. I’m happy to help.
MATTHEW WEEK 8
Please feel free to share this link with your group. Copies will also be available at the Welcome Center.
Here are the remaining weeks of the Matthew Series
|April 8 & 9||Matthew 21:1-17: Jesus’ triumphal entry and time at the temple.|
|April 15 & 16 (Easter)||Matthew 28:1-15 Easter morning|
|April 22 & 23||Matthew 9:9-17. Calling of Matthew. Jesus eats with sinners. Came for sick not healthy. Pharisees ask about fasting.|
|April 29 & 30||Matthew 9:18-34 Healings: imperfect faith and God’s perfect power.|
|May 6 & 7||Matthew 9:35-38. The Workers are Few.|
|May 13 & 14 (Mother’s Day)||Matthew 10: Jesus charges the disciples.|
|May 20 & 21||Matthew 11:20-30 (skipping 11:1-19 from Advent series): The authority of Jesus. Rest for the Weary.|
|May 27 & 28 (Memorial Day)||Matthew 12:1-14 Lord of Sabbath|
|June 3 & 4||Matthew 12: 22-45: Tested by Pharisees: Satan divided against satan and asking Jesus for a sign.|
|June 10 & 11||Matthew 12:46-13:58: Kingdom Stories. Parables of sower, weeds, mustard seed, hidden treasure, net|
|June 17 & 18 (Father’s Day)||Matthew 14:13-21: Jesus feeds 5000. Possibly follow up with Matthew 15:29-39|
|June 24 & 25||Matthew 14:22-36: Jesus walks on water.|
|July 1 & 2||Matthew 15:1-28: Pharisees question about washing hands./Canaanite woman|
|July 8 & 9||Matthew 16:1-12: The Yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees.|
|July 15 & 16||Matthew 16:13-28: Jesus declared as Messiah and begins to talk about his death.|
|July 22 & 23||Matthew 17: The Transfiguration|
|July 29 & 30||Matthew 18:1-14: Causing a brother to stumble|
|August 5 & 6||Matthew 18:15-35: If someone offends you/forgiveness|
|August 12 & 13||Matthew 19:1-12: Marriage and Divorce|
|August 19 & 20||Matthew 19:13-20:16: Money and the Kingdom|
|August 26 & 27||Matthew 20:17-28: Status in the Kingdom|
|Sept 2 & 3 (Labor Day)||Matthew 28: 16-20: Great commission (minoring on resurrection since we preached on it on on Easter)|
Thank you, JG